Tuesday 25 March 2014

Day trip eventing to Norfolk!



We had braced ourselves for a tough weekend of early mornings and very long journeys. We worked out that we were going to have to be up at 2am Friday, 4am Saturday and 5am Sunday. But on Thursday Mum who was away on business got a text from Tina asking if we wanted a lift to Norfolk in the morning and considering Mum did not get back till 8pm the night before, it was a good job. However not wanting to wake our neighbours with a Lorry going up and down the drive we arranged to meet Tina at the petrol station at Buck Barn at 3am, you can imagine the manager's face when he saw us unloading and loading on his forecourt, Mum got a few questions about horse smuggling!

Well with me safely snuggled up in the back I got some kip whilst Mum supplied Tina with endless coffee, porridge for breakfast and conversation to keep her awake whilst driving. (They didn't have any trouble in that department). Of course any journey to an event is not complete without a detour and the odd missed turning. The M11 was shut so we made a detour apparently,  which was going well but I woke up when they had missed a turning. Anyway no trouble for Tina turning her 18ft lorry in a cul-de-sac and we were back on our way and we arrived at Great Witchingham in great time thanks to Pippa who phoned to tell us the way that she went, not sure we would have made it otherwise.



The event is lovely, its quiet, ground was good, the course quite old fashioned, it flowed well,  the fences were all solid, well built and educational  and I would definitely go back there. Michael Rogers from MDR photo drove hours just to come and support me, it was actually lovely that we went with Tina as Michael got to spend the day with her too. Danny did a super 29.1 dressage, so much better than last week. We did a clear sj and a cracking clear xc but he did help me out at one combination, if he hadn't of done that we may have been in trouble. I loved spending the day with Tina, having her warm me up for show jumping and then being able to talk over the cross country course, it was just what I needed for my first Intermediate this year.



I am pretty sure most people would think I was making this up if I told them that I went on a day out eventing and Tina Cook was Chauffeur, Pippa Funnell was personal Sat Nav and Lucinda Green.... well she sold us some carrots out of a van. (She did I promise but that's another story)!

We arrived home at 8pm. I have to say a huge thank you to Catherine to did the horses for me and got Boo washed and spruced ready for the next day and to Megan who plaited, it made the turnaround for us so much quicker. We were indoor by 9 ish, Dad had made us steak and chips and in bed for 10pm ready for our 4am start!

No comments:

Post a Comment