Friday 28 February 2014

All the motivation you need before your first event of the season

As you know I have been training hard all winter, we live on top of a hill, the weather is harsh and the wind has been incredible but we have hardly lost a days training and now my first event is a couple of days away, I am excited and motivated beyond belief, I am not expecting great things early on in the season, I just want to give my horses confident runs. This week I received this letter out of the blue from someone I have never met. I won't embarrass her by putting her name on there but I was so touched and if I ever need a confidence boost, I think I will read this.

"Hi 

I know this will probably come across as very cheesy and out of the blue but I just wanted to say how much I look up to you as a young rider trying to make their way in this tough and selective sport. Not only do I view you as a talented rider and horsewoman but I also see and appreciate your hard work and your work ethic. I remember seeing an interview of yours from fit to ride and how you said that you don't go out to competitions to win as such but see them as 'training' and believe that the results will come when the foundations are solid and have been put in place when both the rider and horse work together well on the day. I also share this view and I have always struggled with it because of how patient you have to be, I am constantly saying to myself that I must be disciplined and school all of my horses slowly and correctly in order to get results when it matters at the higher levels as our basics will be so solid and there is no point in rushing a nice young horse for the sake of a rosette at a 90 or 100 etc. I wanted to wish you the best of luck for this season and beyond and I really am rooting for you to have a great junior year as well as your young horses putting in further quality rounds at the lower levels because they seem lovely types. 
All the best fellow aspiring event rider "


No comments:

Post a Comment