Thursday 25 October 2012

Motivational backside kicking from Jon Pitt!

Last week I had a one-to-one with Jon Pitt or as I like to call it a motivational backside kicking! Jon as most of you will know by now is a Performance Coach. He has worked with some of the world top athletes equestrian and non-equestrian..... Ah well when he works with me I bring him back down to earth with a bump! http://www.fittoride.org

I try to see him on a once a month basis and mainly I am on a horse. We have done many different things in our session depending on my need at the time it has varied from video analysis on the flat, technique in the the different disciplines to a confidence giving session. This week (thank goodness because it was raining hard and very cold) we sat in Matt and Kate's cosy kitchen at LMEQ, with hot mugs of tea, we analysed the season just gone, put in place plans for next season, discussed winter training and also management of my back issues.

This was just what I needed. The season had ended and although it wasn't obvious I realised afterwards I had been on the edge of a dip. This session made me look at the achievements of the previous season, the reasons why it had not gone to plan at times and areas that I can improve on my riding. Its made me excited for next season and I can see the benefits of having multiple horses at the same level. They will all roughly be at 100 and aiming for Novice next season. I would still love an advanced horse to help teach me the ropes at that level so that I can pass that experience on to my youngsters when they move up but oh well, who knows what is round the corner. Each horse will have its own individual development plan and so will I. Jon and Sue Chinn my Osteopath are working together to help me sort out my back properly and we also looked at the business side of what I am doing and Jon gave Mum and I some ideas for that too.

All the horses are going to continue to train through the winter, only Yara is resting as she is recovering from a strike injury to her tendon. (Thankfully through a boot so not as bad as it could have been). We believe in keeping a certain level of fitness in the horses rather than turning away completely. Scientific studies have shown that the horses are better mentally and physically if they are kept in low level work throughout the winter.

My motivation is high, I am busy doing my homework that Jon set me.

I do love a plan and now I have plan A, B, C, D, E, F, G.............

Watch this space. Next session in November will be on showjumping, we will be doing some video analysis so that should be exciting.

In the mean time here are a few pictures taken by MDR Photo http://www.mdr-photo.co.uk/ on one of my previous sessions with Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment